It's hard to believe that I'm winding up my 2nd week at Fort Campbell. I'm finally learning my own way around post (after taking the scenic route several times to get from place to place!), and I'm starting to feel at home here. The people are really friendly, and most local people say "y'all", so that helps!
I've been with some of the other MFLCs to observe them giving briefings on various topics like stress management, redeployment/reintegration with soldiers and spouses, etc. The soldiers (and in some cases their family members) are briefed on all the different services that are offered on post. Today, I went to a briefing for the 20th Replacement Unit...all soldiers new to post are assigned to this unit for a couple of weeks until they're placed with their permanent unit. One of my regular assignments will be meeting with wounded soldiers and their families on Mondays and Fridays...hanging out with them, getting to know them, and letting them know about our counseling services.
Last week, I was able to meet a plane bringing about 250 soldiers home from Afghanistan. We went about 2 hours before the plane landed and spent time with the soldiers' families. After the ceremony when the soldiers marched in, we got to interact with them and their families. What a special thing to be able to witness and share in. I met several parents, spouses, children, and siblings who were so excited to have their service member home after 15 months! It's hard to describe what the experience was like, but it was really neat to see the reunions. It really made me proud of our military (and their families)...and proud to be an American. The sacrifices that they make have never really been realistic for me until I watched everything that night. About 4 or 5 more planes are scheduled to come in between now and Christmas Eve...what a great gift for these families and soldiers!
Away from work, all of us MFLCs have become friends and have been having fun together. Six of us went to Nashville last Saturday and had lots of fun listening to some great country music and eating some good barbeque. I even bought a pair of cowboy boots! (The guy who sold them to me said that he is Elvis' cousin - but I think everybody around here says that)! One of the highlights of our trip (for me anyway) was our stop at The Dukes of Hazzard Museum! We weren't planning on going there but just ran into it. For those of you who have known me since childhood, you know that I LOVED that show and dreamed of one day marrying one of the Duke brothers and driving a jeep like Daisy's!! The museum was hysterical and had tons of memorabilia! It's a must-see for any Dukes of Hazzard fan! I'll attach some pictures from our trip. Oh, and listen for a new single coming out January 7 by Clay Underwood...he's good!! And if he becomes famous, I've already got his autograph!
One of the MFLCs that I've become good friends with, Melinda, is leaving on Sunday, and I'm going to be really sad to see her go. She's from Louisiana, so we've had the Southern bond going from the time I got here. She's been my work-out buddy and my go-out-to-eat friend! We're planning on staying in touch, though, and hopefully we'll have another assignment together in the future! Two new people are coming in tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be as much fun as she has been!
Larry (from Arizona), Melinda, & me at The Nashville Palace
Diana (from Washington state) looking cute in Melinda's new cowboy hat
Larry wishing he could drive the General Lee
Me & "Grandpa" from Alabama dancing at Tootsie's - this guy was hysterical!
"Grandpa" getting his groove on to "Rocky Top" - he had some MOVES!!
Me, Clay Underwood, and Melinda - he's going to make it big one day!
Me & Melinda listening to some good country music at Tootsie's - check out her boots!



1 comment:
Karen, I had no idea you were such a big Dukes of Hazzard fan. It was my favorite show as a kid. I always wanted to get in and out of the car through the windows (something my mother was not that keen on and that I could never do quite as smoothly as the Duke boys). I have the first two seasons on DVD, so if you ever want to have a Dukes marathon, I'm there!
-Megan
Post a Comment