Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Finding My Way

Well, I made it safely to Fort Campbell...home of the 101st Airborne Division, also known as the Screaming Eagles.  I've had 2 days here, and so far so good! 

Most of yesterday I spent meeting some of the other  MFLCs and trying to find my way around post (Army installations are called "posts" instead of bases).  This is a really large post...they have over 30,000 active duty service members and over 100,000 retired and National Guard members.  The post actually spans parts of Tennessee and Kentucky...we drive back and forth between the 2 states several times a day!

There are 14 MFLCs here right now...some of us are on a regular rotational assignment while others are here as part of a SURGE team.  That team is here because there are lots of soldiers redeploying right now.  I am the youngest person here, but everyone is so nice!  Several of us spent the weekend watching Band of Brothers.  The men featured in that movie were members of the 101st, so it was interesting to learn a lot about their history.  Several of the streets on post are named after battles in which those men fought.

It's also been interesting for me to be here because my grandfather, Pappaw, was here for awhile during World War II.  He fought under General Patton and was actually in the Battle of the Bulge, which helped rescue the 101st which had suffered a lot of losses, etc.  If you watch the movie, you learn that even though it was considered a rescue the men of the 101st still do not say that they needed to be rescued.  Anyway, it has been neat for me to see the buildings and barracks where Pappaw probably lived and trained during his time here.  The old buildings are the neatest ones to me...and the ones that look like the buildings from all the old Army movies.

A big part of this job is going to different places on post and having a presence...being available to talk to the soldiers and their family members.  Today I went with 2 other MFLCs who were doing an informal presentation for service members and families who have just been relocated here and are trying to find housing, etc.  Tomorrow, I'll be manning the office for awhile in case anybody walks in for an appointment.  

I'm excited about the possibility of getting to meet one of the planes returning from war tomorrow night.  Hopefully, the rain won't turn into sleet and they'll be able to land as scheduled and we'll get to go with the families to greet their returning soldiers.  I think that will be a neat experience...especially at this time of year!

I'll write more soon.  I hope that hearing about all this isn't boring! 

5 comments:

susan landdry said...

Hey Karen!! Very cool blog!!! I messed up setting up my gmail password, etc...I then misspelled my name like an idiot, and then said i wanted to not be seen, and now I can't change anything. ANYWAY, I just want to say that I think you are very brave, and I'm excited for you, and i will be following your blog! Now, whether or not this shows up on your blog remains to be same! Technologically illiterate,
Susan Landry

Unknown said...

Well girl it sounds like your having a great learning experience. I'm proud of you for doing what you do even thou I miss you and our conversations :) It has done nothing but rain all night last night here and the temp is dropping but I hope it snows a little for christmas. Anyways I better get back to work. Talk to you later and be safe and take lots of pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen! Ben and I were wondering at dinner last night how everything was going. We miss you and support you!

MMeeks said...

Karen, We missed you at our Christmas party but am glad to see that everything is going well on your "mission"!

M said...

It sounds like you are starting an exciting adventure. Military life is so different from civilian life, and it's pretty cool you get to experience both at the same time. I'm glad to hear you arrived safely. Mama said she saw you at the airport Friday. Keep the updates coming. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Megan