Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Inside the hangar waiting for the soldiers to come in from the plane



I got to go to lunch at the Fisher House on post, which is similar to a Ronald McDonald house...it's a place where wounded soldiers' family members can stay while the soldiers are in the hospital.  The day I was there several wounded soldiers came for lunch, and I got to sit and visit with them.  I was honored that they included me in their conversation.  I really learned a lot from them and got a better idea of what they go through and some of the issues they and their families face.  

Angela and I developed a great contact at one of the gyms on post, and he let us go there a couple of times a week to be available if any soldiers wanted to talk.  That was a great way to meet people, and I know that the team that came in after us is keeping it up.

The last Wednesday night that we were there, we attended an Eagle Remembrance ceremony.  This is a memorial service for any soldiers who have passed away during the month.  At this service, they honored 2 soldiers.  It was a very special and moving experience, especially when they played Amazing Grace on the bagpipes and then Taps.  The family members were there, and it was hard to watch them go through that experience.  The service was held in the Headquarters building, and in the front of the room they had the 2 soldiers' pictures along with a pair of empty combat boots with an American flag in them.  At the end of the service, the soldiers in attendance filed by and saluted their fallen soldiers.  The whole thing was moving and emotional.

My birthday was on January 10, and Angela and I decided last minute to head to Nashville for the night.  Mom was too sweet and had ordered a cake for me from a bakery in Clarksville, so we took that with us and ate it in our hotel room!  We had fun walking around downtown, taking in the sights, and listening to music.  The change of scenery from Clarksville was nice, too!  We ate lunch the next day at B.B. King's place and headed back home.  I'm so glad that she was there my last few weeks.  We became close and it was fun to have somebody to hang out with!  

That's about it as far as my experience at Fort Campbell.  I really had a great time and feel like I learned a lot.  I definitely came away with a much greater appreciation for what our service members do for us on a daily basis...and their families as well.  I wish that every American could spend some time with the military to understand what all they do and go through for us and our freedom.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep doing this work.  I really feel blessed to be able to do it.  So, stay tuned and I'll keep you updated on where I go next!  These are just some random pictures from my last couple of weeks there (plus one of me with my friend Lacey's son...he's precious).


Soldiers in formation just getting off plane bringing them home - family members are in bleachers

Brooks and me at Primos - he is too cute!

Angela & me on my birthday - thanks for the cake Mom!
Helicopter outside the museum on post

No comments: